New Zealand is internationally renowned for it’s breathtaking and diverse landscape, however less publicised, until recently, is the fact that we are situated between two major fault lines. Consequently seismic activity is also an undeniable feature of life in our remarkable land. The recent Canterbury earthquakes are a timely reminder of this fact and in light of this here are some key points to keep in mind if you are a tenant, landlord or home-owner. Residential Tenancies In the event of a natural disaster, the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 allows both the landlord and tenant to terminate the tenancy. Where a home has been damaged to the extent that it is uninhabitable, no rent shall be payable until the home is reinstated so that the tenant can re-occupy. Alternatively, the landlord or tenant may wish to terminate the tenancy. If a tenant wishes to terminate the tenancy, the landlord must be given at least two days notice. Where a landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy, the tenant must be given at least seven days notice. In situations where the home is partially damaged, the rent may be proportionately reduced or either party may apply to the Tenancy Tribunal for an order terminating the tenancy. Commercial Leases The Auckland District Law Society (ADLS) Lease, the most commonly used commercial lease, allows for the termination of the lease in the event of a natural disaster. In situations where the damages render a property uninhabitable, the lease is terminated instantly. Where the damages are partial, rent shall be abated and the landlord is required to use insurance monies to repair damages as quickly as possible. If the necessary building consents are unobtainable and insurance payments are inadequate to facilitate a timely restoration, the lease is terminated. If premises are uninhabitable and require demolition or reconstruction, the landlord may cancel the lease giving the tenant 20 working days notice. In the absence of a lease, the Property Law Act 2007 provides similar remedies in the event of specified natural disasters. Landlords can recover rental losses through their insurance providers if they are covered for loss of rent and outgoings. Residential Property In the event of an earthquake or natural disaster, homes, personal possessions and land are automatically covered by the Earthquake Commission (EQC) – provided home-owners have pre-existing private and fire insurance policies. The EQC provides cover for:  damages of up to $100,000 caused to homes,  personal possessions of up to $20,000, and  for loss of land value based on a professional valuation. Any value over and above these amounts may be covered under existing private insurance policies. Claims to the EQC need to be made within 30 days of the damage occurring but can be extended to three months in some circumstances.